We know how hard it can be not to share your meals with your pup when they look at you right in the eye while eating. You might as well give them a few bites of things on your plate, so they don’t feel offended or you don’t feel guilty for not treating them. Right?
However, as a puppy parent, you need to know that calorie-rich food we delight in feasting on can be one of the poorest food choices for your pupper. It may not take more than a few servings to upset your furry baby’s little tummy and health (sometimes, even one generous serving would do them much harm), which is why you need to be cautious about what you feed them.
Even when your pet has the support of pet insurance, it is no good reason to allow your pet to nibble on the table scraps. You must be extra careful during special occasions as your paw friend may get busy with the food leftovers while you attend to the guests. Cheap dog insurance policies can cover much of your puppy’s diagnosis and treatment costs during accidents and pet health emergencies.
Consider purchasing a pet insurance policy to lower your medical financial burden in demanding times. Meanwhile, learn about some common health risks associated with feeding your pup leftover food crumbs on the dining table.
What are the common health risks related to puppy eating table scraps?
Not every puppy is blessed with a tummy that can digest human food. If your pet had digestion issues previously because of indulging in human food, ensure you don’t provide them anything apart from pet food thereafter.
New food items in your pet’s diet can disrupt the normal functioning of your puppy’s gastrointestinal tract. Some of the most common symptoms indicating the same are –
- Stomach upset
- Stomach ache
- Loss of appetite
- General body weakness
If you notice one or more of the symptoms mentioned above, rush to the vet immediately. Your pet may need expert assistance to find some relief.
Even while you feed your pupper a few bites of your dessert, you never know what ingredients in it can be toxic to your furry baby. Grapes, macadamia nuts, raisins, caffeine, chocolate, and xylitol (sugar substitute) can threaten your four paws’ health.
Also, onions and garlic-loaded foods are a strict NO-NO for your furry companion. Consumption of prohibited food items can raise renal risks and fatality.
3.Foreign object ingestion
Ingesting foreign objects can obstruct the gastrointestinal tract, thereby not allowing free passage of food. Such things must be removed asap, so your puppy stays safe and healthy. For instance, your dog may have swallowed a portion of corn cob, a tiny plastic toy, bones, a piece of rope, etc., that needs to be removed from your puppy’s system.
Take your fur baby to the vet for diagnosis (physical scanning, x-rays, ultrasound, etc.) and treatment (induce vomiting, surgery, fluid therapy, etc.)
4.Stuck bone splinters
Turkey/chicken/steak/pork bones may get stuck anywhere in the gastrointestinal tract, starting from the mouth, down to the stomach, and through to the intestines. It can cause much pain, especially when large bone pieces or bone fragments get caught in your puppy’s digestive tract.
Even when you wish to fix your pet’s problem, it is best you leave the task to your vet. Pet insurance covers your puppy for non-routine vet visits, prescriptions, diagnosis, and treatment during pet health emergencies, and more depending on the level of cover. Cheap dog insurance can cover much of your fur baby’s medical care in times of accidents and illnesses.